OK, since I’ve only made one post since last Veterans Day, I probably need to revive the blog a bit. In the meantime….
Here is our annual Veterans Day post listing the veterans, living and passed on, in our respective families:
- Andy Henderson, USN (active) — [nephew]
- Bruce Henderson, USMC (former) — Yes, I was a Jar Head
- Peter Anderson, USMC — My dear departed uncle Peter served with Marine Intel during Vietnam
- Jim Zimmerman, Illinois National Guard (former) — My uncle Jim served 2 tours in the National Guard
- Ian Henderson, RAF — [my dear departed father] RAF pilot who served the crown during the Battle of Britain as well the far east as a flight leader. He lied about his age to join the flight corps and was a decorated Ace for combat action.
- Ron Henderson, RAF — [uncle] RAF radio man,
- Robert Zimmerman, USN — My dear departed step-grandfather served in the US Navy during WW2
- Howard Martin, USN — My biological grandfather was a pilot who died in WWII when my mother was just a child
- Staff Sgt. Darren Green, USMC (active) — served twice in Afghanistan; still in active service. [nephew]
- Jon A. Webster, USMC (former) — served in al Rutbah, Iraq; now training in the US Merchant Marine/Military Sealife Command.
- Heather Harris, US Army National Guard (former) — [daughter]
- Greg Barsic, USMC (former), USCG (active) — currently serving in the US Coast Guard in California [former son-in-law]
- Brad Poeltler, USN (ret.) — former Naval aviator in the F-14 RAG [brother-in-law]
- Robert Wendt, USN (ret.) – former Navy pilot [former brother-in-law]
- Bill Lowell, US Army (former) — [former brother-in-law]
- John A. Webster, USN (ret.) — spent 29 years in the US Navy; served in both WW II (including Pearl Harbor, Guadalcanal, and Guam) and Vietnam (two tours) [my father]
- James Francis Webster, USN — served in WW II [my paternal grandfather]
- John Silas Fickes, CSM, USN — served in WW I, Mexican War (1920), and WW II [my maternal grandfather]
- John William Fickes, 1st Sgt., Co. A, PA Militia, 8th Reg. Infantry — served in Spanish-American War [my great-grandfather]
- James Edward Taylor, Pvt. Co. D, II PA Volunteer Infantry — Civil War [my great-great-grandfather]
God bless them all, and God bless America. ..bruce w..