Category: Obama Administration

Obamacare and Healthcare.gov: How We Got Here

Obamacare and Healthcare.gov: How We Got Here

| December 2, 2013 | 1 Reply

Stephen Covey was fond of saying, “You teach what you are.” Regardless of what platitudes you speak, all you really teach is what you actually live and practice. It should not be surprising, then, that the same political and philosophical mindset that produced the Affordable Care Act and pushed it through Congress in spite of […]

Read More

Obamacare and the Damp Squib

Obamacare and the Damp Squib

| December 2, 2013 | Reply

  The national media, having been forced by the sheer bad performance of Healthcare.gov since its launch two months ago, is once again facing a critical decision: will it, in fact, report how incomplete the system is and how poor its performance is compared to private sector standards, or will it take up its job […]

Read More

Obamacare and the Bursting Dam

Obamacare and the Bursting Dam

| November 25, 2013 | 1 Reply

The media for the past three years has failed to do its job as independent and skeptical investigative journalists with regards to Obamacare in general and the essential technology infrastructure in particular — not just the Healthcare.gov website itself but all the back-end systems and the state exchanges as well. Even when Healthcare.gov launched, most […]

Read More

Post at Ace of Spades: why Obamacare is different

Post at Ace of Spades: why Obamacare is different

| November 21, 2013 | Reply

I have a new post up over at Ace of Spades about why Obamacare is different from the usual anti-GOP tropes put forward by the Democrats, and why they should be very, very afraid: 1) How many of you know someone who died in Hurricane Katrina? (Just thought I’d get that out of the way.) […]

Read More

Obamacare and the 90% solution

Obamacare and the 90% solution

| November 20, 2013 | 1 Reply

The first 90% of a software project takes 90% of the schedule. The remaining 10% takes the other 90% of the schedule. — The Metric Law of 90s We’ve had a lot of percentages thrown around about the Healthcare.gov system lately: 30-40% remains to be done, 60-70% is complete, as of December 1st it will […]

Read More

Obamacare and the Three Heads [UPDATED]

Obamacare and the Three Heads [UPDATED]

| November 19, 2013 | Reply

In a large-scale, well-managed IT project, there are three key roles that need to be filled by three different people who are each talented, qualified, tough-nosed, and given commensurate authority. Actual titles may vary a bit, but the roles themselves are well-known: Project Manager. This person manages the personnel (and sub-organizations) on the entire project; […]

Read More

Obamacare and the Potemkin Website

Obamacare and the Potemkin Website

| November 16, 2013 | 3 Replies

[minor edits and additions, as always] Back on October 25th, Jeffrey Zients “landed” at the White House and took charge of the ailing Healthcare.gov website. He famously declared at the time: “By the end of November, HealthCare.gov will work smoothly for the vast majority of users. . . . Let me be clear: HealthCare.gov is fixable.” […]

Read More

Obamacare and the Unstopped Project

Obamacare and the Unstopped Project

| November 13, 2013 | 2 Replies

The most valuable IT consultant is someone who stands athwart a failing software project, yelling Stop, at a time when no one is inclined to do so, or to have much patience with those who so urge it. (with apologies to William F. Buckley) After a flurry of posts over several weeks on the unfolding Healthcare.gov […]

Read More

Post at Ace of Spaces: what comes next for Healthcare.gov?

Post at Ace of Spaces: what comes next for Healthcare.gov?

| November 5, 2013 | Reply

I published a post over at Ace of Spades yesterday on what is likely to happen next with the Healthcare.gov development effort: So, what can you expect next? There are two basic courses that a project such as this takes at this point: oscillation or off-line. Oscillation is what happens when the developer continues to push […]

Read More

Obamacare and the Unforgiving Gauntlet

Obamacare and the Unforgiving Gauntlet

| November 3, 2013 | 3 Replies

  “Running the gauntlet” refers to a ceremony of passage, trial, or even execution wherein a person is forced to walk or run between two lines of people who are usually armed with clubs, whips, or other weapons. The people in the lines are then free to strike at the person running up the middle. […]

Read More